Thursday, March 11, 2010

Louisville, KY

Louisville is a 5 hour drive from Chicago and you lose an hour to time zones so we didn't arrive until 4:30 PM. Add the fact that it was raining and we didn't have much in the way of scouting time. Generally I like to spend a couple hours looking for the perfect location to set up and lock down my shot. Today I didn't actually begin this process until after 5:00.

Luckily the options are not that plentiful so it was easy to scout out the location I felt offered the best opportunity. The bad news was the clouds were thick and a dark gray that would really hold back the reflections in the water and would make the backdrop behind the city drab. But prayers were answered and the clouds rolled away about 10 minutes before the perfect light (God was cutting it a little close - playing with my head!).

My location was down in some brush right on the Ohio River. It was a little nasty but got me close enough to the water to maximize the reflections. The one thing I didn't fully think through was the process of getting back out of the brush after dark. I have found that I do things like this a lot in life. I jump from one boulder in the mountains onto another below without fully processing how I am going to get back up. I wander in some where before dark not really thinking through how I am going to get out when there is no light. But hey, it makes my life far more of an adventure!

Here is Louisville, Kentucky from Jeffersonville, Indiana:



We will have one more shot at Louisville in the morning before getting back in the car and heading for Cincinnati, Ohio. Just Cincinnati and Columbus remain. I must say, I am going to need a vacation after this trip - shame I have to fall right back into the hours and stress of the day job. Most people go back to work feeling refreshed and rested after vacation. I will return to work with bags under my eyes and aching muscles. But it is definitely all worth it!

No comments:

View My Portfolio